Content feed Comments Feed

Annual Conference Reflection: Atima Lui

Posted by We Are DRE Thursday, August 13, 2009



I had a very eye-opening experience with DRE last weekend during the First Annual D.R.E. Conference. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and I know that I was meant to attend the conference for many reasons:

Firstly, I needed to learn and internalize the MVPs of D.R.E. By understanding the Mission, Vision, and Purpose, I was given the proper vocabulary to not only really recognize what D.R.E. is, but also so that I can include people. When I included Chris Rodgers, I was able to explain pretty well what D.R.E. was, but now I feel that I have an even more powerful message to relay to others.

Second, I have grown extremely excited and pumped about D.R.E. Before, I believe that I was a complacent, nearly dormant member. Today, I am a passionate and active member that wants to contribute to our vision in any and every way. I have truly taken claim to D.R.E. and see it not just as an affiliation with great members, but as a movement of bright young black people improving the economic state of our race through mutual support and trust; how powerful and inspiring!

Third, the conference gave me the inspiration and encouragement to really pursue my dreams, no matter how large they are. My salon was always going to happen, but after attending the conference, I feel less alone in my pursuit of entrepreneurial success. There were so few young black entrepreneurs that I knew personally before the conference. Now I feel like a part of a support system and network that will help me to succeed; and I cannot wait to see what we all achieve with this help from one another.

Fourth, I know that I was meant to attend the conference because it really got my life on track. This summer, I have gotten a lot of offers from adults and students alike to take on many leadership roles; they see the things that I have done and am working on campus, and want me to join them in their pursuits to add to their success. While I have been very flattered by these offers, the conference has given me new direction and has shown me that if entrepreneurship is truly my passion, and if D.R.E.'s mission is truly my mission, than I need to resist being a "Jack of All Trades" and focus on the things that get me closer to achieving my entrepreneurial dreams. Since the conference, I have declined two previous offers to work for OTHER people, and have focused on being in the business of working for myself; this transformation has been extremely empowering for me.

I hope that my feedback has been clear in expressing how transformational the Conference was for me. I thank God for the opportunity you have given me!

Thanks, Mr. Farr and D.R.E. Leadership!

Atima Lui

D.R.E. Album

Big Banner

Mr. Farr Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter